Inspector General of Police CD Wickramaratne resigned from his post today. The media had reported that Senior Deputy Inspector General of Police Deshbandu Tennakoon was going to be appointed to oversee the work of the Inspector General of Police. National Alert learned undermentioned facts on same
1. According to the protocols of the police department, CD Wickramaratne has not recommended Dheshabandu’s name as his successor
2. A single person has no discretion regarding the appointment of the IGP and it must be done with the consensus of the Constitutional Council and the President. So far, The President has not recommended anyone’s name as next IGP. The Constitutional Council has not considered anyone’s name either .
3. Nilantha Jayawardene, Patinayake and Deshabandu, who are the three leading in terms of seniority, have been subjected server charge sheets on the Easter attack tragedy .
4. A number of religious and civil organizations, including Archbishop Malcolm Ranjith, have written to the President asking that no one accused of the Easter attack should be appointed to the post of Inspector General of Police.
5. Although the Minister in Charge of Police very keen to offer positions to the persons who accused in connection with the Easter attack, the President does not . As per the constitution There is nothing that the minister in charge of police can do about the appointment of the IGP